A few suggestions for future versions

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Hi.

First of all, you have really started something great here :-) I already have a few customers who have been asking about just this kind of functionality in SharePoint.

Although your solution is indeed working as expected, I have a few suggestions for future updates:

• Custom Rootfolder Name
    • As you already is storing some info for each list in the property bag, how about also letting admins/users choose to name each "connection" with it's own name. What I mean is, instead of just having "Templates" as the title for the rootfolder, and "Create document from template library" as the description, you could in the settings for the library connector have two text-boxes for Title and Description, depending on the desired presentation. 
  • Reuse each Content Type's own Title and Description when rendering your template hierarchy
    • As Content Types already is supported in your solution, it would be more "correct" to reuse each content type's title and description when rendering the menu. I have already tested this out by modifying your code and it seems to be working as intended. By doing this the presentation for each template/content type would look a bit more "sexy" compared to "MyWordTemplate.docx" :-P Also, as for Content Types to work correctly, I understand that the corresponding contentypes, also has to be located in the template library, you can retreive the correct title and description directly from each template within the template library.
    • Feel free to contact me if you would like to look at the modification I've made to make this work.

As stated before, these are just suggestion for future updates, but would greatly enhance the user experience and usability :-)

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Regarding content type title, I'm not sure I follow completely. The connector does use the title and description fields for presenting each document template. If these fields aren't present, however, it will simply show the file name.